The Search for a Buddha without Borders

A pillar erected by the great Buddhist emperor Ashoka (304-232 BCE) stands among ancient ruins in Tilaurakot, Nepal, where Prince Siddhartha Gautama is believed to have lived until he set off on his journey to become the Buddha. (Photo: Wikimedia)

 
The Search for a Buddha without Borders
KATHMANDU — The first sign I had that the “Buddha was born in Nepal” controversy was taking a serious turn was when I saw an ID card, modeled after the Nepali citizenship card, which listed “Gautama Buddha” as a citizen. This image was floated on Facebook and had received thousands of “likes” by the time I saw it. As a cosmopolitan Nepali, this card discomfited me. Surely, I thought, Buddha is a transcendental figure that cannot be located in space and time, and everyone has the right to claim him as their own. The modern parochial politics of national boundaries, I thought, wasn’t fit for the Buddha. So I commented that neither the contemporary nation state of Nepal, nor India, existed 2,600 years ago.
read more: http://www.irrawaddy.org/contributor/search-buddha-without-borders.html
Share on Google Plus

About သတင္းစံုေပ်ာ္၀င္အိုးၾကီး

ကမၻာသတင္း၊ျမန္မာ့သတင္း ေပါင္းစံုကိုေရာသမေမႊေဖာ္ျပသြားမည့္
MP4 YoU (The Melting Pot For You)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment